Sunday, December 22, 2013

Santa's Sleigh

We're now down to the wire in preparation for Christmas so I'll keep this short.  Just wanted to get in one more ornament before the big day to share.   There isn't much to tell when it comes to the initial concept.  




The idea came to me when sketching out our Christmas images and thought it would be kind of nice to do a Japanese version of Santa's sleigh.   Kind of fought with the problem of the size of the crane compared to the sleigh since that makes the stamp kind of ...BIG.  Anyway, it all worked out and turned out fun in the end!




When revisiting the image this year, I suddenly wanted to do this as an ornament.  Quite a challenge to make it 3D, but I enjoyed myself just trying to make it work.  I had decided to have the crane hang on his own hook, separate from the sleigh.  That way, he could be higher and on a different branch altogether.  This makes it hard to find a place to hang on the tree though.  I think my friend, June's idea was better to attach both threads (one from crane and one from sleigh) to a customized wire hanger, like a mobile so at least they would always hang the right way.  Maybe for next time.




Thanks for stopping by again, and here's wishing a wonderful holiday to everyone!

 




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful ornament and a great idea, Denise! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still amazed at how this ornament came together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! This makes a wonderful ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Very beautiful! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL Ornament!!!! This is by far my most favorite Christmas stamp. I am so in love with your idea of having a tsuru pulling a sleigh as a Japanese holiday stamp....what a wonderful concept and so beautifully drawn! As for your ornament...WOW! I am so inspired to try and recreate one for our tree too! BTW...I love your tsuru so much, I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more of him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your generous comments. I had fun doing this one. Sorry I don't always write where I got my materials and patterns. The sleigh and bow on top of the present came from Silhouette on-line, the wreath and present was from SVGcuts. I had to adjust the sleigh and add a "ledge to the front so the kids could be upright, otherwise they were at an angle leaning forward. I also added panels to the sleigh so I could add the embossing (Tim Holtz embossing folder) and used gold ink pad to ink the embossing. Had to adjust the wings of the crane to make it work but it turned out ok. Anyway, that's a quick summery of the process. Hope everyone is having a great holiday! Auguri e buon anno! (Best wishes and happy new year)

    ReplyDelete