Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Cookies!

Every year at Christmas, I prepare cookies for my husband's colleagues and it's become a bit of an event at his office. He said that when the season approaches, they already begin to anticipate the little packets of goodies with much enthusiasm.  I know it's more of an American thing to give out Christmas cards, but not sure if giving out homemade baked goods during Christmas is something the Italians do on a regular basis like back home.  Well, in any case, it is fun to give out something in which people look forward.




Anyway, this year the featured cookie was "phantoms", which sounds more Halloween than Christmas, but the richness of the treat makes it a perfect giveaway for this crowd.  I have learned that, for the most part, Italians love hazelnuts and chocolate (Italy is the home of Nutella!) so I tend to concentrate on these flavors more.  The recipe came from Rose's Christmas Cookies by Rose Levy Bernbaum, however since macadamia nuts are not so commonly found here in Italy, I substituted them for the much-loved hazelnut.


Also, wanted to share a couple of jokes with you regarding the cookie-making event.  The first talks about how dangerous cookie-making is.



And this second one is a result of the first.  In case it's too subtle, my mouth is covered in chocolate and crumbs are all over me in evidence of my cookie-tasting crime.





Again, take care everyone!  Have a safe and happy holiday!




3 comments:

  1. Ohhh! Those look delicious! I love Nutella!! Tried it in some no bake recipes and they turned out yummy. Cute cartoon, it must be fun to be able to draw what you do in real life. hahaha! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love this...tasting the cookies to make sure they're perfect...I would do the same and no one would get any cookies! Awesome drawings, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cartoons! It's so me to taste the cookies "just in case" too!

    ReplyDelete