Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Misaki, The Sparrow Girl

Well, it looks like Sister Stamps is releasing another set of images.  Yay!  I have been peeking in on what my sister has been creating and it's just great!  Love her crafts!

Just thought I would share a little of what inspired the sparrow image, Misaki, that is part of this set.  As I was coming up with images, I remembered when I was a little girl when my parents would take me to the Honolulu zoo.  We would go around and see all the animals, which was always fun for us kids.  But the part I liked best was when we would find a good spot under a tree and lay out the gozas so we can rest while we ate lunch.  The reason why this was my favorite time at the zoo was because it was when all the birds would come around us, looking for crumbs.  Mostly pigeons but also a lot of mynahs and sparrows.  I would sit still and wait as they gathered in a large group making their way closer to us.  Then, when it seemed like a vast sea of birds, I would jump up and chase after them.  At first, it's like an explosion of wings hitting the air, and then a rustle of movement as the remaining few scurry away to a safer position.  I would run in zig zags, not really trying to catch them, but just to scare them enough to get them moving.  I used to love this.  I guess it was kind of mean, now that I think about it, but it was great fun!
Now when I see a small kid chasing birds and laughing,  I can't help smiling as it brings me back to the days of visiting the zoo.

When drawing Misaki, I didn't want to risk seeming too "mean" about chasing birds, so I had her kind of just running (playing) alongside them while they fly away.  Her arms are spread out because I thought of her wanting to fly off with them so she is imagining that she is flying too.

Anyway, this is a short post but just wanted to share this regarding the release.   Thanks for stopping in and enjoy the new release of Sister Stamps.








5 comments:

  1. I love the colored images! Really brings it to life! Your story is so funny. I think we all used to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fond memories of my daughter, LeAnn, as a young child chasing the birds at the Honolulu Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL,very cute story...I used to do that too! (and get scolded by obachan!) Thank you for sharing the story, this is my favorite stamp in this release, and now that I know the story behind the image, I'm loving it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Denise, I remember those days and your story brought back fond memories doing the same thing, under the trees, near the concession! I love how you have interpreted this in a cheerful, playful way. Your drawing is awesome and this little girl Misaki is just cute with her happy expression! Your characters not only reflect memories, but the people you are surrounded with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww that's a cute story! When I first saw this image I thought how cute she's mimicking the birdies and now I know she really is. Misaki is so sweet, as are the sparrows.
    BTW, this is one awesomely cute Sister Stamps release.
    ^.^

    ReplyDelete